Monday, September 26, 2011

A Little About My Fabric... A Little About Me.


When people see my fabric, they often ask how I design it.   Well, sometimes, I start with a pencil and paper and other times, I head straight to the computer.   I use nature, found objects, and other designs as my inspiration or I use just my imagination.  And how did I get into this… I've always had an interest in sewing and home decorating.   And as a graphic designer, I thought it would be cool to design my own fabric.   After taking a few classes in surface design through UMass Dartmouth School of Visual Arts, I was taught the skills to enable me to do this.  I learned how to design in repeat and how to hand screenprint.   Although I enjoyed screenprinting my fabric, I felt that it was far too time-consuming.  And then, I learned about this amazing company called Spoonflower.  Spoonflower digitally prints fabric and has made it possible for individuals to design, print and sell their own fabric designs via the web.  The company was started in 2008 by two Internet geeks who had crafty wives but who knew nothing about the textile business. One of the founder's wives thought it would be a really cool idea to design her own fabric and make curtains.  She wasn't the only person wanting to do this and now the Spoonflower community has grown to over 150,000 members worldwide who print their own fabric to make curtains, quilts, clothes, and much much more!

I really love what I am doing and hope that I can turn this into my new career.  Being able to balance work, home, and being a new mom is a challenge, but one that I know I can take on.  The design process takes a lot of time and even more so now that I have Soleil to raise.   It's difficult to find uninterrupted time to design like I used to and even when I have childcare, there is still mom stuff to do - whether it's pumping, scheduling an appointment, or a task around the house.  I am adapting to this and am still learning how to prioritize in the most effective way.   Each day is a learning experience and although being a new mom and starting a new business can be overwhelming at times, it is the best thing that has happened to me, and Soleil is a new source of inspiration to my work.

Below are some of my fabric designs.  Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment