Thursday, February 2, 2012

Handmade Bench & Ruffled Valance


Kristen and I were having our usual meeting - this time at the coffee shop at Russell's Corner.  We noticed one of their coffee tables and thought it would be cool to try to make one ourselves.   Of course, mine would involve fabric and hers would be made from a found object.  But the more I thought about a fabric table, the more I thought how stupid an idea it was.   Who would want a fabric coffee table?   What happens if someone spills something on it?   After deciding against it, I was still inspired to make a piece of furniture.   So, I made a quick sketch of a bench and asked my handy husband if he could help me out with making one.  


A piece of plywood later, some foam, fabric, four furniture legs and some bolts, a bench was made.  Kristen helped by painting and distressing the furniture legs.  I added ruched trim to give it some Modern Vintage flair.  I also made a matching pillow with the leftover fabric and another complementary pillow to dress it up.  I am pleased with the way it came out and am excited to make another one!   

Also featured in the picture is a handmade ruffled valance I made that will fit any standard window. 
 


The bench with pillows... $139.   Measures 16" x 34".  

Ruffled Valance $40

No comments:

Post a Comment